Monday, November 3, 2008

Farewell to Rwanda soon....

November 3, 2008
We hope to have the boys' passports by this afternoon! We'll see.... Everything is so incredibly different here in Rwanda, such as a price is not really the price, on ANYTHING! You must always barter back and forth and have a general idea of what the item is worth or you could end up paying way too much. It's good to be living with our missionary friends who have been here almost 3 years now. It's quite an experience even to make a photocopy. Today I needed a black and white copy and the machine was broken. For black and white copy it costs 150 francs, but since the machine was broken they charged me 500 francs to make the copy on the color copy machine! Ok, the catch is my copy was done in black in white since that is what I asked for, it just had to be done on the color machine and therefore they said I had to pay 500 francs. What an experience to learn how other people live. We took the boys to the orphanage to say "Good Bye" today. That went well and we learned a little more about our boys. I do have more pictures to put on the BLog and I will do my best to add them bigger at the bottom of the blog, but those will come later. Power and internet tend to go out several times a day here. We will be heading out to Nairobi on Wed. to start the visa process on Thurs. Any and all who would like to e-mail their local senator's office to ask them to e-mail U.S. Embassy in Nairobi to ask them to expedite our boys' visa process would be greatly appreciated. We miss our girls terribly and want to get home as soon as we can. We are enjoying seeing a different country and new cultures, but would prefer at this time to get home to be with our beautiful daughters.
Asia Grace and friends, how was storybook character day? Maybe you could reply to our comment section and let us know what characters you were since we missed the big day?
We have not booked a guesthouse yet for Nairobi, but hope to by the end of the day.
Bye for now,
Heidi

3 comments:

Nathanael said...

Hello Heidi and Pete! That is so amazing that you are in Rwanda Africa! It is wonderful that the Lord has kept you safe so far. It is neat to read of how things are going in Rwanda. I am looking forward to meeting my new nephews over Christmas break, and hopefully, you'll get a chance to meet my new girlfriend, April Dion! :-) Anywho, feel free to write or something. I'll continue praying for you all to get back to America safely. Love, Nathanael

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I'm a stranger who just found your blog when googling "Rwanda adoption".
Thank you for sharing your journey, especially because there is not very much info on adoptions from Rwanda.
I have so many questions for you. I hope we can be in touch when you get back (and get settled).
I look forward to keeping up with your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi, Pete and the Hanson boys! I hope this post finds you all doing well. I had to write something because I have been sitting on the edge of my seat since you left! I check your blog 15 times a day, waiting for more news. I'm not sure if I can live through any more suspense. I can only image how it feels on your end! We love you guys and pray for your safe return (hopefully real soon). I just wanted you to know I was thinking about you. We miss you and hope to hear more news soon. Love, Shelley